Green Halloween Pledge
Halloween is a great American fall holiday but like many holidays it creates a lot of waste. This year we decided to help promote a great green initiative by the folks from GreenHalloween.org to help people commit to reducing the environmental impact of their Halloween celebration. Green Halloween® put together a great list for us of 20 things people can do to lessen the impact of their Halloween celebration.
We are asking people to pledge to do at least five of these items this year for Halloween. Those who make the pledge will be entered in a random drawing to win a $150 gift certificate from HolidayLEDs.com. Please follow the steps below to participate.
Step 1: Read Contest Rules
- One entry per household.
- Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- No cheating - cheaters will be disqualified.
- Winner will be selected from random drawing on November 1st and notified by email.
- Winner must claim prize within 3 days or new winner will be selected.
- Prize is $150 gift certificate redeemable at HolidayLEDs.com. No cash value. May not be used with any other coupon or promotion.
- No submissions accepted after October 29th.
Step 2: Select Your Pledge Items
Select at least 5 of the following pledge items from this list. You will need to enter these pledge items into your pledge form submission so copy and paste from the list or write them down. You may also come up with 1 or more of your own pledge items.
- Swap costumes with someone rather than buying a new costume. This is a great idea and one of our favorite Green Halloween Tips.
- Purchase your costume, or its components from your local thrift shop.
- Use LED Halloween lights to decorate instead of incandescents.
- Collect candy in a reusable container rather than a disposable bag. Or better yet, make a fun project for your kids by having them make their own Halloween bag out of reusable or recyclable items you have around the house.
- When trick-or-treating, walk, instead of driving door to door.
- Carry a shakable or hand-crank LED flash light instead of one that is battery powered.
- Make your own Halloween face paints.
- Give away one piece of candy instead of handfuls.
- Purchase an organic pumpkin.
- Buy your pumpkin from a local farmer.
- Purchase an edible variety of pumpkin and paint, instead of carving the pumpkin. Then bake and eat the pumpkin when Halloween is done.
- Roast & eat your pumpkin seeds instead of tossing them.
- Use 100% beeswax or soy candles in your jack-o-lantern instead of paraffin candles.
- Give away healthier alternatives to conventional candy.
- Compost your leftover candy.
- Donate your leftover candy to troops overseas.
- Compost your pumpkin.
- Make crafts out of candy wrappers.
- Pack décor away carefully so that it can be reused next year.
- Text “Boo 5” to 27138 to donate $5 to support the Green Halloween® initiative.
Step 3: Promote the Green Halloween Pledge to Earn Extra Entries (Optional)
This step is optional but you can improve your chances of winning by earning up to 8 additional entries by doing one or more of the following (one additional entry will be made per item completed):
- Share this pledge on Facebook
- Follow HolidayLEDs.com on Twitter
- Follow GreenHalloween.org on Twitter
- Like HolidayLEDs.com on FaceBook
- Like GreenHalloween.org on FaceBook
- Sign up for the HolidayLEDs.com Newsletter
- Re-Tweet a link to this pledge page and credit @holidayleds.com
- Post a link to this page on your blog or website
You will be able to select which (if any) of these items you completed on the submission form.
Step 4: Submit Your Green Halloween Pledge
Complete the Green Halloween Pledge form.
Thank you for making the Green Halloween Pledge! Happy Halloween and good luck!